Transmission repairs don’t always have to be expensive. If caught in time, a transmission can be repaired rather than replaced depending on the extent of the damage. Benton Road Auto Repair services transmissions – automatic and manual – to extend their life, and we recommend you bring your vehicle in for a transmission inspection if you notice any of the following signs.
Common Signs of Trouble in Both Automatic and Manual Transmissions
You should never experience any of the following signs of trouble if you keep your automatic or manual transmission maintained. Maintenance replaces fluid and wearing parts before they cause transmission damage. If you haven’t maintained your transmission as you should, or if your transmission is failing due to manufacturer issues, you might notice the following while you drive or at a stop:
- Your car, truck, or SUV won’t move from a dead stop even though it’s in gear.
- Your vehicle slips out of gear.
- Your automobile skips gears.
- Your car, truck, or SUV takes too long to shift between gears.
- Your engine revs too high.
- You’ve noticed leaks on your garage floor underneath the center of your automobile.
- You smell a sweet, burning smell.
- You hear buzzing, clunking, or humming while in neutral, at a stop, or between gear shifts.
- Your vehicle loses power.
- Your check engine light comes on.
As you can see, there are a lot of signs that your transmission is in trouble, so it’s wise to pay attention to how our vehicle sounds, smells, and handles each day.
What Do These Signs Mean?
What does it mean, however, if you experience any of the signs above aside from the fact that your transmission might be about to die? Common transmission problems include
- Fluid leaks or low fluid
- Worn shifter
- Worn shifter cable
- Automatic transmission valve body problems
- Computer system trouble
- Overheating transmission parts
- Gasket, line, or seal leak
- Bad bearings
These are just some of the concerns surrounding both manual and automatic transmissions. Another concern would be internal transmission part damage due to contaminated fluid or low fluid.
I Drive a Stick
If you drive a stick, other signs of transmission trouble include gears grinding between shifts, difficulty shifting between gears, burning smells, and changes in where the clutch pedal grabs so you can shift gears. These signs could be caused by the issues listed above or a worn clutch. Your clutch should be adjusted per your vehicle manufacturer’s recommendations and replaced when necessary.
Benton Road Auto Repair in Bossier City, LA, maintains and repairs both automatic and manual transmissions. Call today to set up a transmission service.